Sunday 20 August 2017

Pattern #2!

I've been working on the second pattern and tutorial for Gotz Happy Kidz dolls and I just completed the tester dress made using my pattern.  I'm pleased to show you, from Lilli & Fleur Couture, Pattern #2, The Wrap Dress!

 It is a wrap dress with sleeves that end at the bottom of the lined bodice giving a nice visual line across her chest,  falls to just below the knee and has fun button detail.  There are two front and two back pleats for walking ease.  The buttons are non functional.  The dress is closed using 3 small metal snaps. 

It was a fun process and the first time I've attempted to do a sleeve pattern.  Actually , I had to create a sloper for the sleeves first and then draft the sleeve pattern!  They have just the fullness I wanted and don't add bulk to a slimmer fitting cardigan.

I started with a sketch and then using my sloper I drew up the pattern pieces.  I cut the patterns out of muslin, sewed them together and then started tweaking it to get the fit and shape I wanted.  It went very well as I only needed to make 2 versions to get the final pattern the way I wanted it.












 
 Fleur was kind enough to be a fit model for me.  The fabric we used to make the dress is some I've been saving for Poppy.  I think it will look really great with her blue eyes and red hair!  I can't wait for her to arrive to try it on.


 There is a pleat on each side of the back.  They aren't huge pleats but are big enough to make walking free and easy.




















 


Here is Fleur showing how even a slim fitting caridigan can be worn over the dress with no bulges or big wrinkles from the sleeves.






















Now I need to get the tutorial written and pass it and the pattern on to my wonderful group of testers.  I can't wait to see what they make with it and to hear any comments and suggestions they might have for me.

I have at least eight more sketches to work from and hope to get a couple more done right away.  Then I can see about getting my patterns published and available for sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A bit of a setback...

I wanted to quickly update to say that there will be a delay in getting my patterns up for sale.   I've injured my right hand and arm ...